Sometime in 1970, after some 20 years
in place, the anvil mysteriously
disappeared. There were a number of
theories as to what had happened. Had
it been removed? Had it been stolen?
However these notions seemed unlikely
due to the weight of the anvil, which had
originally been carried to Anvil Rock by
four men on a makeshift stretcher.
Another theory was that the anvil had
been pushed over the cliff. In the time
after the disappearance, local Rangers
recalled finding evidence of scratch
marks on the rock face where they
suspected the anvil could have been
dragged to the edge, however no further
evidence had ever been found.
SO NAMED
by Blackheath City
Council because of its resemblance to
the shape of an anvil, Anvil Rock is a
weathered sandstone rock formation
situated on the top of the cliff line above
the Grose Valley, and is a spot favoured
by tourists and bushwalkers.
The anvil was donated to the council at
the suggestion of Stan Miller, Company
Secretary, Bradford Kendall Industries
Pty Limited, who was himself an avid
bushwalker. It was light grey in colour
and featured a mark with the letters
“BK/Sydney/Aust” denoting the
manufacturer, Bradford Kendall, and
where the anvil had been cast.
In 1948 Bradford Kendall Industries Pty Limited
donated a 6 CWT (672 lbs or 305 kg) anvil
to the Blackheath City Council, to be erected
on Anvil Rock lookout, located in the Blue
Mountains of New South Wales, Australia.
Sometime in the 1970s the anvil disappeared.
Anvil rock c. 1968 before disappearing from the clifftop
(
Image courtesy of Blue Mountains City Library
)
Image courtesy of Blue Mountains City Library
GLOBALEYES / EDITION 15
4
HISTORICAL
1,2,3 5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,...20