now Engineered Products
AmeriCast Brief History:
Bradken’s Engineered Products Division (Formerly AmeriCast Technologies, Inc.) has a strong heritage of manufacturing and machining steel and iron castings. The company traces its roots back to 1872 when the Atchison Foundry, the Company’s largest operation, was opened in Atchison, Kansas. The Atchison machine shop was erected in 1906. AmeriCast’s predecessor operated independently until 1956 when it was acquired by Rockwell International. In 1991, Rockwell sold its casting operation to a group that included former members of management and institutional equity investors. In December of 2003, AmeriCast was formed by KPS to acquire 5 of Atchison’s 19 facilities. Through this acquisition, AmeriCast obtained foundries and machining facilities in Atchison, Kansas; St. Joseph, Missouri; Amite, Louisiana; Minneapolis, Minnesota and London, Ontario.
On November 21, 2006, our company was acquired by Bradken Holdings USA, Inc. (Formerly CHATI Holdings, Inc.) pursuant to a stock purchase agreement dated October 25, 2006. At that time, Bradken Holdings USA, Inc. was a wholly-owned subsidiary of CHATI Holdings, LLC. At that time, CHATI Holdings, LLC was indirectly owned by Castle Harlan Partners IV L.P. (and affiliate of Castle Harlan, Inc.), Bradken Limited and certain members of management. We refer to this transaction as the AmeriCast Acquisition”.
On April 5, 2007, Atlas Foundry (Tacoma, WA) was acquired – see operation history below
On April 2, 2008, London acquired A.G. Anderson Limited. (London, Ontario, Canada) – see operation history below
On January 31, 2008, Prospect (located in Minneapolis, Minnesota) was sold.
Atlas Castings & Technology is one of the premier foundries in North America producing high integrity steel castings for customers around the world. Atlas uses state of the art technology to produce complicated components with stringent metallurgical and quality requirements. Atlas is no longer just a foundry and has evolved into a manufacturer of major metal components. Atlas manages the manufacture of customer components from conceptual design to delivery of final product ready for installation. Atlas can deliver a customer’s component by truck, rail, sea, or air to anywhere in the world.
1899 - Atlas began under private ownership making iron castings for the Northwest logging industry.
1929 - The Long Family purchased Atlas and in 1930 began making steel as well as iron.
1940's - Steel production increased with the addition of the first electric arc furnace. Atlas made maritime and industrial castings as part of the war effort.
1950's - Atlas began making engineered pump castings for use in pipelines, refineries and chemical plants.
1970's - Atlas obtained ASME certification and began making castings for the nuclear power industry.
1975 - The Long Family sold Atlas to US Filter Corporation.
1978 - Atlas installed an AOD refining system and an 8 MEV linear accelerator for heavy section radiography.
1980 - US Filter was purchased by Ashland Oil and Atlas became a unit of Ashland. During the 1980's Atlas entered into the turbine and compressor markets making large castings for both commercial land base and Naval applications.
1985 - Ashland divested itself of all non oil related assets and Atlas was again purchased by the Long Family.
1987 - In the late 1980's Atlas began developing high strength low alloy castings for the oil industry for use in offshore platforms. Also in the late 1980's, Atlas became qualified to produce HY-80 and HY-100 alloys for US Naval applications on surface ships and submarines.
1989 - Atlas was sold to TIC United Corp of Dallas Texas purchased Atlas.
1990 - Atlas became a non-union shop.
1996 - Atlas purchased Quali-Cast Foundry in Chehalis, Washington.
2002 - Atlas Foundry Acquisition LLC purchased Atlas and the name was changed to Atlas Castings & Technology. The new owners composed of twelve members of management and the Snyder Family Partnership.
2005 - In March, Atlas Castings & Technology purchased Ideal Machining & Mfg., Inc. in Tacoma, Washington.
2007 -April 2007 Atlas Castings and Technology was purchased by AmeriCast Technologies
As an integrated manufacturing company A. G. Anderson Limited operates three divisions. The Pattern Division specializes in the manufacture of wood, metal and plastic patterns for the foundry industry. The Foundry Division specializes in the manufacture of pressure retaining components in a wide variety of alloys including such diverse materials as heat and corrosion resistant stainless steel, carbon steel, Ni-hard, Ni-resist and ductile iron. The Machining Division specializes in the machining of cast components.
Looking back ...
Alan Anderson emigrated from England as a young master wood patternmaker and started his one man pattern shop in 1948 in a small building at 1178 Francis Street in London. Business quickly grew and after one expansion, the company relocated to 99 Oakside Street (formerly 1180 Oxford Street, Rear).
The company quickly established a reputation for making very large patterns for hydroelectric power generation, steel mills and resource processing equipment. In 1963, after one expansion, the company relocated to its present location at 3040 Osler Street. The Osler Street facility has had eight expansions over the past three decades. In 1968 a small foundry was started to provide cast-to-size tooling for the metal pattern market. In 1979, 1991 and in 2001 the company expanded, quadrupling the size of the foundry operation. A machining division was started in 1993 to provide machined cast components which closed the production loop and established A. G. Anderson Ltd. as a single-source provider.